2 Skinless, Boneless chicken breasts
25g Garlic butter
1/4 white onion chopped
pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C or 180 degrees for a fan oven.
- Melt half of the garlic butter in the microwave using a microwaveable bowl. You can also melt the butter in a pan on the hob if you prefer. My top tip is to watch the butter carefully. it melts extremely quickly and shouldn’t need more than 20 – 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Line a baking dish with tin foil and place in your two chicken breasts.
- Pour your melted garlic butter over the chicken breasts in the baking dish.
- Cook your chicken breasts in the oven for 15-20 mins turning halfway through. When the juices run clear you know the chicken is done.
- Whilst your chicken is cooking in the oven tear up your bread and put it in a food blender along with your onion and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Blend your bread into breadcrumbs but make sure the crumbs aren’t too small.
- Now melt the other half of your butter in the microwave/on the hob.
- Add your melted garlic butter to your bread crumbs and mix. Set your mixture to the side until your chicken breasts are done.
- Once your chicken breasts are done remove then from the oven and top them with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Now place your chicken back in the oven and cook for another 5 mins until the breadcrumbs are lightly crisped.
- Take your chicken out of the oven and serve with a side or your choice! My recommendation would be mashed potato or vegetable couscous.
This is the perfect healthy recipe for those of us who don’t have enough time to slave over a hot stove all night. Not only is this recipe quick but it is also extremely easy. With only 4 ingredients where could you go wrong. If you have picky family members you can choose whatever side they might like but I guarantee they will love this inside out chicken Kiev. I think I actually prefer it to store bought chicken kievs and it’s healthier. A perfect low fat dinner option for all you garlic lovers out there! As usual let me know what you think if you try the recipe and also send me your pictures and I will feature them on my facebook and blog.
Ingredients (This recipe serves 8 people)
- 340g of whole wheat macaroni
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil (I used the low cal spray version)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 100g vegetable risotto (alternatively you can add 2 medium stalks of celery, sliced)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 950g skinless, chicken breast trimmed and cut into cubes
- 5 tablespoons of corn flour
- 1 litre low fat milk
- a pinch of salt
- 5 table spoons of hot sauce (I used 4 as I don’t like food being too spicy)
- 120g of crumbled blue cheese.
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees C or for fan assisted ovens 180 degrees C
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Cook the macaroni in the pot for 2 mins less than the recommended time on the package.
- Drain the macaroni and set to the side for later.
- Heat oil in a large pot or wok over medium heat. Add carrots, vegetable risotto, onion and garlic and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- At the same time as your veg is cooking spray some oil in a separate pot and heat on a high temperature. Add chicken to this pot and cook until the meat is no longer pink on the outside. About 7 mins.
- Add this chicken to your vegetables and stir.
- Whisk cornflour and milk in a medium bowl. Add this to your chicken and vegetable mixture with a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until bubbling and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in hot sauce.
- Spread the macaroni in a large baking/casserole dish so that it makes a layer at the bottom.
- Top with the chicken mixture and sprinkle with blue cheese.
- Bake the casserole until it is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- I served mine in a bowl with a spoonful of sour cream because I am a big baby and cant take the heat!
- Now sit back and enjoy!
I loved this recipe and you can have it so many different ways. With it being only 439 calories per serving with 39.4g of protein how could you go wrong! Its a great idea if you want to make a large meal that will do you a couple of nights as it tastes even better after its has been sitting in the fridge for 24 hours. Also if you wanted to be really naughty and treat yourself at the weekend you could definitely have this over nachos! on a personal note I’ve never been a fan of blur cheese but after using it in this recipe I am a complete convert! In fact I would probably use a little bit now as it tastes delicious.
As always I would love to see your creations if you decide to try this recipe. If you send me a picture I will feature your food on my Facebook and blog.
Ingredients: (This recipe serves 4 people)
4 large eggs
1 can of chopped tomatoes
2 chorizo sausages
1 and a half large chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1tbsp chopped chives
Nutritional info per serving: 100g low fat grated cheese of your choice
100g low fat white lasagne sauce
1 tsp paprika
Salt & pepper to season
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C or 180 for fan assisted oven.
- Chop your chorizo sausages into slices and fry in a large pan on the Hob for 2mins at a relatively high temperature. (I used low cal spray in the pan instead of oil just to be a little healthier. Every little helps!
- Now add your chopped onion and fry this along with your chorizo for 6-7mins. You want your onions to be soft and chorizo browned.
- Now crush and add three cloves of garlic. (You can add more if you are a garlic fiend like me!). Fry for a further 2 mins.
- Now add your chopped tomatoes, paprika, salt and pepper. (If you like it hot try adding chilli flakes for a bit of a kick).
- Spray a baking dish with low cal spray and layer the sauce you have just made at the bottom.
- I then added a thin layer of white sauce feel free not to do this if you want to be a bit healthier.
- I also added low fat cheese as a layer but again feel free to leave this out if you want to be extra good!
- Now crack your four eggs on the top of your dish.
- Put your dish in the pre-heated oven for 10-12mins. The whites of your eggs should be cooked but the middle still runny. Top with chives and that’s you done!
- All you have to do now is enjoy! I served mine in bowls with crusty bread to dip in, yum!
I was so excited to post this recipe as it is absolutely gorgeous. You could have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Personally I have it for dinner as it is filling but also low in calories in terms of a main meal what more could you ask for. The great thing about baked eggs are that you can have them in so many different ways the options are endless. I look forward to messing about with the recipe above and creating new yummy concoctions. I am going to try and make a spinach and garlic based baked egg dish next time because I loooooovvvveee garlic! lol. As usual I would love for you to get in contact if you try this recipe. I have finally set up my instagram so tag me in your pictures on there and I will feature them on my blog!
Well folks a wee bit of a different post today. Something quick and easy to wet your taste buds for healthy snacking this year. Now I have to admit one of my main vices is crisps or “chips” for all you lovely Americans out there. Seriously I cant get enough of them but we all know how bad they are in terms of your health. Therefore I am all up for low cal and fat free versions to quench that urge to buy a massive pack of Doritos! I have found a few shop bought low cal options that are absolutely brilliant and packed full of flavor (blog post on this coming soon). However as I am all about experimenting I have chosen to try and make some myself.
I got this wee nifty device pictured above as a Christmas present. I was a little skeptical but it actually does make very easy fat free crisps. It takes no time at all and because you choose the flavor the options are endless!
I used a potato to make these crisps but you can use whatever vegetable/fruit that you would like. I am really looking forward to trying this out with carrots, sweet potatoes and apples.
Method (with pictures)
- Wash and peel one large potato and then cut in half.
- Place on the slicing grid and secure the handle to the top of the potato. (Be extremely careful the slicer is incredibly sharp).
- Move the potato across the grid in a back and forth motion creating thin slices.
- Once you think you have enough dry the slices off with a paper towel.
- Arrange the slices on the microwaveable disc spacing them evenly apart.
- The instructions with this product say to season your crisps after they come out of the microwave but I have found it is much better to do this beforehand.
- I have tried seasoning with rock salt,black pepper,paprika and onion salt. So far paprika has been my favorite but the options are endless and I intend to try many more flavors!
- Based on a 750w microwave cook the crisps for four minutes.
- When your microwave pings take your crisps out and enjoy!
This is one that I would love your feedback on. Whether you try it yourself or if you have any flavor suggestions you would like me to try out please get in touch!
You can reach me Via twitter @leavethelettuce or my email is email@example.com. I can’t wait to hear from you!