Ingredients: (yield is approx 20 balls)
200g fresh spinach (chopped,washed and drained)
2 large eggs
1 white onion finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
80g finely grated parmesan
** Optional 50g finely grated cheese of your choice (I choose mozzarella)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C or 180 for fan assisted ovens.
- Wash and dry your spinach cutting off the stems. Then chop your spinach into medium size pieces.
- Now I was lucky enough to buy a pack of spinach that can be microwaved. This makes things easier as it only takes two minutes. Otherwise you can prepare your spinach by putting it in a large pot of boiling water and letting it cook for 3-5 mins. Then take your spinach out and make sure it is well drained.
- I used a food processor to make sure that all my ingredients were finely chopped at this stage.
- Crack both your eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat for 2 mins.
- Add the rest of your ingredients along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all of your ingredients together thoroughly. (I found it easier to combine the ingredients together using my hands so if you are prepared to get messy go for it!)
- Now shape the mixture into medium sized balls.
- You will need to line a baking tray with baking parchment at this stage.
- Now place your balls (Hey-yo) on the parchment spacing them evenly apart.
- It is important to leave a little room between each as they can flatten a little when cooked.
- Now bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until they are slightly golden and viola!
- They are now ready to serve or keep in the fridge until later.
These are literally so good! I am a constant snacker which isn’t great if you are trying to loose weight! Therefore making the move to healthy snacks like these Spinach balls has been a life saver for me. They are so tasty and full of protein so what more could you ask for! They can be served hot or cold and so are great for kids lunch boxes or if you want to bring them to work. I made these again the other night and set them out on the table to cool. By the time I came back my partner had eaten half the bowl. I fear we may have to fight each other for them in the future if I don’t start making bigger batches! As always if you do try making these let me know how it goes or better yet send me pictures and I will feature them on my blog and facebook.