Ingredients: Serves 8
300ml/1.2 cup skimmed milk
100g pitted dates
250g brown bread (about 7 slices)
200ml/0.75 cup boiling water
25g/0.2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp dark vanilla extract
30g/1 oz dark or milk chocolate
- Firstly we are going to start by making a syrup out of the dates. Combine the boiling water and dates in a small bowl and leave for 15 minutes until the dates are softened.
- Pour the dates and water into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Tear up the bread into small pieces in a large bowl. Then add the milk, date mixture, cocoa powder vanilla extract and beaten egg.
- Mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Grease a 8 x 5 inch baking dish and then evenly add the mixture to it.
- Crush the dark chocolate into small pieces. (I put the chocolate into a sandwich bag and gave it a whack with a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle the chocolate pieces evenly over the top of the mix.
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees C or 180 degrees C for fan assisted ovens.
- Remove and eat while still warm and gooey!
Having been on a diet myself I’ve been finding that I am craving something sweet particularly in the evenings after my dinner. This is the perfect after dinner treat to stave off those cravings! Yes when we hear the word chocolate we automatically think “oh no I can’t have that I’m on a diet and chocolate is a no no.” However there is so little chocolate in this dish that you can allow yourself to indulge without feeling guilty! Also this pudding is low in sugar as we obtain our sweet taste by making the date syrup so really its a win win all round! At 142 calories a slice you really can’t complain and it tastes awesome. The only hard part is stopping at one slice! I would love to know your thoughts on this recipe or if you have any ideas on how to adapt it to make it better. Feel free to contact me on any of my social media if you give it a try.