Ingredients: Yields two double McMuffins
6 Slimming world syn free sausages (or any lower calorie sausages of your choice)
1 calorie cooking spray (I use Frylight)
2 wholemeal baps
2 tablespoons Primula light cheese spread
1 teaspoon Rosemary
1 teaspoon Thyme
- Remove the skins from your sausages and squeeze the sausage meat into a large bowl.
- Add the herbs to your meat and mix with your hands to combine.
- Now split the sausage meat into 4 equal parts. Shape each into a burger patty shape to fit inside the bun.
- Spray the Frylight into a frying pan and heat over a medium heat. Add the burger patties to the pan.
- Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side or until it is obvious that they are cooked through.
- Whilst waiting for the patties to cook you can make your poached eggs. I am lucky because I have egg poaching cups which I just place in boiling water. (They really are brilliant and you can buy them from the likes of Amazon of Lakeland for a couple of pounds.) If you do not have poaching cups then don’t despair. You can spray two small microwaveable bowls with Frylight and crack an egg into each one. Season the eggs, pierce the yolks and cover with cling film. Microwave each egg on high for about 30 seconds. Keep an eye on them as they may pop in the microwave.
- Now all you need to do is prepare your rolls. Stack the two patties one on top of the other and spread a little Primula light cheese on the top. (Note if you feel your McMuffun is too tall you can just keep it to one patty per bun.)
- Finally top your Mcmuffin with your poached egg and viola!
Recently my attention has been brought to the idea of fakeaways (fake takeaways). Believe me before I started trying to loose weight I was the takeaway queen! Therefore the idea of being able to make healthier versions of my favourite delicious takeaways was far too good to pass up. I decided to start with breakfast because all too often at the weekend I will give in and allow myself to have something lovely and greasy like a fry-up or a sausage sandwich! I find it difficult to stick to a healthier breakfast at the weekend as I don’t have the routine I have during the working week. Usually I grab a quick healthy breakfast at my desk. At home on the weekend all the goodies in the kitchen beckon and its so hard to ignore when I am mere feet away from opening the fridge and stuffing my face! That’s where these fakeaway Mcmuffins come in. They truly are delicious and very filling. If I have these for breakfast I normally don’t have a big lunch at all as it really does set me up for the day. Also they are so easy to prepare which is great for sleepy Saturday/Sunday mornings when you want to put in as little effort as possible. The Frylight spray combined with the low fat (Syn-free) sausages means that you get all the taste but with much less fat! So why don’t you give them a try and see what you think. I dare you to not fall in love with this recipe it is just too tasty!