Ingredients: (Yields 12)
300g ripe bananas (roughly 3 medium bananas)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons of maple syrup – adjust to your taste
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
200g ground almonds
1 tablespoon of whole flaxseed plus extra for decorating the top of your muffins
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl mash together the bananas and butter. (a fork works well for mashing).
- Now add the maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice and mix well with a whisk.
- Add the ground almonds and a tablespoon of whole flaxseed and mix well.
- Grease your muffin tins with butter or low fat spray. Alternatively you can use individual muffin cases.
- Spoon your batter evenly into each muffin cup and top with a pinch of flax seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. You will know if the muffins are done by inserting a skewer into the middle and it coming out dry.
- Allow muffins to cool and eat warm or at room temperature. Remember to store covered, in the fridge and most importantly enjoy!
**Note this recipe can also be used to make a loaf of bread. Use a bread loaf tin. Fill with the mixture and cook for 1hr 10mins. If the bread starts to brown too much during baking cover with a piece of tinfoil.
These little muffins have been a god send for my partner and I. We now have them every morning for breakfast and they make a great guilt-free snack for when you get peckish during the day. There is no flour, sugar or preservatives and each muffin is only 89 calories so you can have more than 1! The bananas, maple syrup and vanilla give these muffins a lovely sweet taste and so when I am craving something sweet this is now my go to snack. The bread is filling and will keep your energy levels up during the day. Almonds are full of Vitamin E and magnesium, and the Omega-3-rich flaxseed which is added means these muffins aren’t just delicious but nutritious as well. Not to mention they smell great when they come out the oven! As ever I would love to hear your feedback if you try this recipe.